Niagara Windriders Newsletter

The Official Newsletter of the Niagara Windriders Kitefliers Association, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada

Monday, April 27, 2009

April Fun Fly

I woke up to an overcast, foggy, drizzly sky in Stoney Creek. It was about 8 degrees (46 for you south of the border), not a promising day for the first fun fly of 2009. After lunch I set off to Port Colborne with all my kites in the trunk and my winter jacket and gloves in the back seat. I was prepared for the worst case weather. As I headed south from St Catherines, the outside temperature on the cars' dashboard started climbing. The clouds were breaking up and the sun was out. When I arrived at Lakeview Park it was very bright and 22 degrees. That was good enough for just the tshirt and no sweater. There were about 15 kiters already there and they were catching up and showing off their kites. The only problem was that someone forgot to order a nice windy day!

With a very light wind, the only thing to do was admire all the kites on the ground.

Here's Bob trying to save his roller as the wind died and it fell out of the sky.

The gound display was very colourful, with everyone hoping that the wind would pick up.


Bob and Greg admiring one of Bob's homemade 4 liners. Again, on the ground waiting for a gust.

I attempted to fly my Blast, which will fly with very little wind, but alas it was too much effort to keep it airborn.

I gave up at 3:30 and set off back to Stoney Creek. When I got home it was still overcast and 10 degrees (there was even a steady breeze). This just shows you how different the weather can be, and only 45 mins drive by car. Well, hopefully the wind and sun will cooperate on May 31st, our next scheduled Fun Fly for 2009. See you at the end of May!